Monday, September 26, 2011

Art and what the heck is wrong with Me?


This is one of the beautiful paintings we brought home, his name is Zoltar. It is by Vladimir Ovtcharov.

In the past few months, we've been to two wonderful art festivals. At the end of August we braved the heat and went to the Midwest Salute to the Arts. We had so much fun, walking around and looking at all of the beautiful things. I enjoyed talking to the artists, and dreaming of what I could take home, if I had an unlimited supply of money! We did buy two wonderful pieces from husband and wife artists Vladimir and Daniela Ovtcharov, as well as several prints from various artists.

Vladimir and Daniela Ovtcharov create these wonderfully fantastic pieces,
and we spent what felt like several hours trying to decide which pieces to bring home.
We really wanted all of them, but our pocketbook wouldn't allow that!
This is a link to the other piece that came home with us:
Bubbles in the Forest.

I found this quote from Daniela, and really love it.
Through my paintings I want to force people to imagine and fantasize. I want to free them from the mass culture and societal cliches that have been put on them. The darkness and obscurity can not be removed, but with a single candle can be lightened. The art will save humanity, eventually.



Then this past weekend we went to the Strange Folk Festival.


This beautiful piece is by Aunia Kahn.

Although I saw many, many things that I wanted to take home with me, I was a good girl and only bought one thing from the artist Aunia Kahn. There is a funny little story behind this. When Patrick was still working for the government, he was training a man named Russell. He came home and told me all about how his wife was an artist, and how we needed to get together with them. Unfortunately, soon after that, Patrick switched jobs and we never did have dinner. So, here we are wandering through the festival, and I stop to look at these beautiful pieces, when all of a sudden Patrick is talking with someone - Russell! We didn't get a chance to talk much because they were so busy - which was wonderful, but we did purchase one piece, and hopefully will get together with them soon!


Needless to say, all of this art has had thoughts and ideas running through my head...
For some reason, and I do not know why, I have been fighting with myself for years. I have always done calligraphy and other "artsy-fartsy"stuff, but have never truly thought of myself as an artist. It's strange, I have always loved art, and wanted to be good at it, but never thought I could.


This is my journal- my Morning Pages that I've neglected for much too long. I put the saying in calligraphy on it to try to remind myself just that!


I never really even tried, for fear of failing, for fear of not being good, of not being perfect. And I sat here this morning trying to figure out where this perfection thing came from, where this fear of failure came from...
I don't know.

But I do know that even the small craft projects that I did with Melissa made me feel good.
I loved all of the simple things that we did - the painting, the coloring, the creating.
I remembered that I enjoy creating things. So, it's time for me to unshackle myself and let me be
ME.

I haven't been in a long time.

I wrote this string of thoughts this morning and thought it describes me quite well -
Me. What is that? What describes me?
Eccentric, naive, street smart, brainy, flighty, off the wall bat-shit crazy, overly nice, overly bitchy, artsy fartsy, slightly pompous in a Frasier kind of way, foodie, avid reader, struggling perfectionist, homemaker, knitter, mom to the world, a want to be domestic goddess, a good listener, a too loud talker...



No comments:

Post a Comment