Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Not blogging from Las Vegas


O.K., my intentions were noble. I was going to blog several times from Vegas about the things that we were doing, and the food that we were eating, but.... Well. I didn't. At all. We've been home now for a week, and I am just now sitting down to write.

Patrick had to go to Las Vegas for two conventions. He hadn't been there since he was a kid, and I've never done Vegas, so we thought it would be a good for me to tag along. Especially since our 15th wedding anniversary is in a mere two months, and because he hasn't accumulated very many vacation days yet, our dream of a cruise to Alaska or a trip to England just wasn't going to happen!




Anywho... The conferences that Patrick attended were hacking conventions - Black Hat and Def Con. As in computer hacking and the security aspects that go along with it. We were sufficiently warned about the conference. Several of the things we were told were not to bring any device with wifi into the hotels that were holding the conventions and not to use the ATM there either. But I figured that we were not staying in the same hotels with the conference, and we have a Mac! When I decided that I had seen enough to blog about, I pulled out my laptop, and went to log in, and saw several wifi connections - one was named "Virus". I thought about the chances of being hacked on a Mac, but decided to go with my gut and NOT connect. I don't like to gamble with much of anything, including the computer!

As stated, I'm not much of a gambler. So, Vegas was a little boring for me while Patrick was busy with the conference. It was unbearably hot, although not too much hotter than St. Louis. But I don't spend very much time outside walking around here!

The next sentence will shock those of you who know me: I spent several days at the pool. Thankfully I found a great spot under umbrellas and shaded by trees. It was quite nice and relaxing once I got over my panic attack of wearing a bathing suit for the first time in years! I stepped out of my comfort zone, and wow was it hard. Even before leaving the room, dressed in my new bathing suit and cover up, my heart was pounding like mad and I was having trouble breathing. The long walk to the elevator and then to the pool was pure torture. I was hunched over trying to hide, and shaking! I was in pure panic being in a bathing suit. By the second day, I was a little more comfortable, although the only time I took the cover up off was when I was in the pool. Perhaps next time I'll be better. Maybe. We'll see.

I spent a lot of time writing Morning Pages, which I hadn't done in a long time. As well as window shopping, and drooling at all of the beautiful things that I wanted but can't afford! With all of the Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Fendi, Gucci and the like... Oh my. See, I have a purse addiction, so it was very hard to walk out of those stores without big bags. But, I did it. Several months ago I promised myself that once I lose a certain amount of weight that I will buy one of those purses. I was originally thinking it was going to be a Louis Vuitton, but now, I'm not sure.




We spent several nights and days at the Fontana Bar in the Bellagio. We spent most of our time in the Bellagio. It was so easy to just stay in the hotel, rather than go out into the heat. And watching the fountains from the patio was very beautiful and relaxing.

We did not eat one bad thing the week we were there. But it's hard to say what my favorite meal was. I fell in love with the bread basket and the tapenade at Todd English's Olives. I truly wonder if I could live on that bread, wine and cheese? I would be very happy if I did! I have been using my bread machine instead of making it by hand for the past few years, but I think that is going to change soon.

The dim sum at Noodles in the Bellagio was fantastic.

But I do think that the best evening belongs to our dinner at Sensi before we went to the Cirque du Soleil show of "O". The whole evening was wonderful, and I can't wait to see both "O" again, as well as other Cirque du Soleil show. Sensi was fantastic, between the attentive wait staff, the unique mixture of textures in the design of the restaurant itself - mixed stones, water features, different woods and glass, and the delicious food, oh, it was pure delight. I was excited to see Tandoori Butter Chicken on the menu because I had recently read a fantastic article on NPR about this dish that intrigued me greatly. It did not disappoint and I think that I will be making this dish soon. If you want to make it, just click on Tandoori butter chicken to see the article, and recipe. Of course, I can't make it too often, if I want to get that Louis Vuitton!

No comments:

Post a Comment