Monday, March 1, 2010

A spinach salad for those who don't like spinach salads


I have a small confession to make: I've never been a huge fan of spinach salads. I know, I know... how could I? There is just something about spinach that I've never warmed up to. Actually, I have an even bigger confession, I'm not a huge fan of spinach.

I do love spinach in certain dishes, particularly Spanakopita and any Indian style spinach dishes, such as Saag Aloo. There may be a few more dishes that I am forgetting about, but I think that's it. I want to like spinach. With all of the nutrients that spinach provides, I have always wanted to serve it more, but I just can't seem to fall in love with it.

But then I found this recipe for Roasted Squash, Spinach and Leek Salad with Maple Syrup Dressing in "Dave's Dinners" by Dave Lieberman, and now I'm a convert. I've made this recipe twice, the first time I made it with roasted butternut squash, and the last time, I roasted up a sweet potato which was just as good. In the picture that accompanies the recipe in the book, it looks as though the salad has blue cheese crumbles, although the recipe does not call for them. To serve as a main dish, I think the addition of either blue cheese or slivers of Parmesan cheese (which I have used) really help to finish the recipe. All I require to make this perfect is some good crusty bread.

So, even if you are not a spinach fan, I urge you to try this salad - maybe you'll become a convert like me!

Roasted Squash, Spinach and Leek Salad with Maple Syrup Dressing

adapted from Dave's Dinners by Dave Lieberman

For the salad:
1 small butternut squash or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
extra-virgin olive oil
salt
1 cup pecan halves
1 small leek
10 ounces spinach, rinsed, dried, and large stems removed
blue cheese crumbles or slivers of Parmesan cheese

For the Dressing:
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 shallot, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
15 to 20 grinds fresh black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400F.

Toss the squash cubes on a baking sheet with olive oil and salt. Roast 25 minutes or until tender, tossing every 10 minutes or so. Remove the squash from the oven and allow to cool fully.

Spread the pecans out on another baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 minutes.

Remove the green tops and bottom root from the leek. Cut the remaining portion of the leek in half lengthwise and rinse under cool water to wash away any grit inside the leek. Cut each half in half crosswise, then thinly cut vertically to create leek matchsticks.

Make the dressing by shaking together all the dressing ingredients in a seal-able container or whisk together in a bowl. Toss the spinach with the dressing, divide the spinach between serving pates, and top with the squash pieces. Scatter the leek matchsticks around the salad, then finish with the toasted pecans and cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! Thank you, I think I can be converted now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you try this spinach salad, please let me know. I'd love to hear what your thoughts are. Glad to help make another convert!

    ReplyDelete