Friday, December 4, 2009

Reading - The Friday Night Knitting Club

I'm getting very frustrated. See, I caught a cold a week before Thanksgiving, and was well enough to celebrate that holiday. But now I think this cough and cold are going to be here for a while. Every time I think I'm better, I will try to do something, anything - decorate, cook, clean, talk - I start coughing and can't stop.

So, I'm thinking that maybe this is the way my body is telling me to sit back and do nothing. Even though sometimes it feels as though that is all I do. Thankfully we have mostly decorated for the holidays, and after Patrick left for work last night, I could curl up on the couch with the glow of the lights, a cup of tea and a book - "The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs.

I don't know how to explain how deeply this book affected me. I had tears streaming down my face by the end of the book. Don't get me wrong, I have cried over books before. But for some reason the story of Georgia Walker and her daughter has hit some nerve ending for me. Even after I had crawled into bed, I couldn't get the story out of my head. I woke up several times last night, thinking about the story. Then this morning, I opened up the third book in the series - "Knit the Season", and by this afternoon I had it finished. Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't get the second book "Knit Two".

The funny thing is that I didn't think I'd like the books. I have seen the first book in bookstores before, and even though I knit, the book never seemed to call to me. I bought them because I was in the mood for some holiday reading, and thought "Knit the Season" would be a nice easy comfort read. I bought the first book just because.

I've been thinking about these books all day, and trying to analyze both the books and my thoughts. I read. A lot. So why did this book strike such a chord with me? Do I think I can relate with one (or more) of the characters?

This makes me think again of starting both a reading club, but also a knitting club. I've toyed with the idea of starting an online reading club - any body want to join?

No comments:

Post a Comment