Thursday, October 21, 2010

It's starting to look a lot like Autumn!

Oh how I love Fall!
Or perhaps I should call it Autumn...

I have always been a bit misunderstood by these two terms, and how they are used interchangeably. In researching these two terms, I found that technically "Autumn" is when the air begins to be crisp almost, cool and the leaves are changing. "Fall" technically begins when the leaves, well - fall. When the weather is cold, not cool.

I had no idea that there were two parts of this season, but it doesn't matter, because it is my favorite season! I love the way the air smells fresh and new. I love the to watch the colors of the leaves change. I love that slight crackle sound that the leaves make when you step on them. I relish in the cooler air, and I yearn to wear sweaters and sweatshirts.

We have been in the mid-west now for almost two years, and this past summer has been hot. Too hot for me! This July I found myself singing "Wake Me When September Ends" by Green Day over and over again to myself. Just waiting for the cooler weather to come.
Thankfully, we are finally getting some cooler weather here in the mid-west. It's still not as cool as I would like it to be, but I need to remind myself that it will be soon.

On the first cool day of the season I opened every window in the house as wide as they would let me, and stood in front of the windows letting the cool - almost cold air brush over me.Patrick stood in front of the window with me for a moment or two. He proceeded to tell me that I was nuts, and immediately went to put on warmer clothes. But it felt so fantastic to me.

I will admit that eventually I did go and put on a sweatshirt and socks to keep warm. But I refused to close the windows! It just felt too good.


I know that sometimes I am a bit overzealous with my emotions. I try to hold them in, but that just doesn't happen all the time. Especially when I'm walking in our local Farmer's Market and I spy the first pumpkins! I think there were a few tears in my eyes that day. I immediately begin to dream of all of the dishes I would make. So far, I've only bought two pumpkins - and this is the first I've cooked. I dream of making pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin risotto, pumpkin bread... The list could go on and on. But for me it's the soups. You may have noticed that I love soup. My thoughts were settled when a Facebook friend mentioned Squash and Apple Curry soup several times in the past few weeks.

We finally took the time to find the Costco in St. Louis last week, and renewed our membership - it's been more than 10 years since we've lived near enough to one to shop there. I had forgotten how fantastic they can be. But when I saw these beautiful looking Asian Pears - my mind was made up. I was making Roasted Pumpkin, Asian Pear Curry Soup!




I adapted the recipe from one I found on The Gracious Bowl for Butternut Squash and Pear Soup. Pumpkin and butternut squash are almost interchangeable, although sometimes pumpkin can be a tad more bitter than the sweet of butternut squash. Just remember to buy eating pumpkins or squash, not the large pumpkins we carve for Halloween!


I served this for dinner tonight with sourdough grilled sharp cheddar cheese sandwiches with thinly sliced Asian pears inside. For me, this was a perfect light meal for Autumn.



Pumpkin and Pear Soup

1 medium-large cooking pumpkin
1 yellow onion, diced
2 Asian pears, peeled, seeded, and cubed
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
heavy cream or half and half, to serve (optional)

Quarter and seed the pumpkin and rub with olive oil, salt and pepper then roast at 400 degrees until soft, about 30-40 minutes. Let cool and scoop out the flesh.

Saute the onion and pear until very soft, about 10 minutes. Add the curry, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne pepper and let them toast for a minute, then add the squash. Add the chicken or vegetable broth and let it all simmer for another 10 minutes.

Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a blender (but be careful to do it in small batches...splattering liquids are HOT!).

Keep warm, and taste to correct seasoning if needed. Serve with a small swirl of heavy cream or half and half, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment